Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Conditions and Diseases Hemorrhoids

Interesting: MMS is said to heal 97% of the disease: quantumleap.is

HALO to remove hemorrhoids

Hemorrhoids Forum
Forum rules
Welcome to the Hemorrhoids Forum - a health community featuring member and doctor discussions ranging from a specific symptom to related conditions, treatment options, medication, side effects, diet, and emotional issues surrounding medical conditions.

HALO to remove hemorrhoids

Unread postby HealthForum » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:29 am

I have had Hemorrhoids and just had the HALO operation to remove them.

The operation I had done is called "Hemorrhoidal arterial ligation" (HALO) using instruments that are supposed to be super-accurate at pinpointing the source and point at which the surgeon should "tie-off" the artery.

It can be done without a general anaesthetic but my hospital in the UK uses a general anaesthetic.

Now I've had the procedure I think the worst part might be the anaesthetic. Not that it was unpleasant but rather that it is better to avoid being knocked out and then having to spend 2 days recovering not from the operation itself but the from the effects of the anaesthesia.

There is no pain from the area of the piles but there is pain and soreness from an area in the sphincter itself. I have yet to find out if that is because the surgeon caused a small tear. I'll find out when I see him in 6 weeks. This is the 5th day and the discomfort has not gone yet.

However, it's such a relief to be able to feel normal again and no trace of any haemorroid!

You might have some trouble passing water at first but I think that might be psychological. It's almost normal now.

Despite what you might read I think 1 week off work is necessary.

You get an antibiotic, pain killers/anti-inflammatory and a laxative to stop you from straining while your body heals.

I honestly think it is the conoction of drugs that is making me feel yucky. I'm looking forward to tomorrow when I can stop taking them.

Hope this helps.

HealthForum

Return to Hemorrhoids